Easy Sautéed Cabbage and Sausage Skillet with Bacon
Sautéed Cabbage is the perfect low carb and Keto diet food option. With minimal carbs, and about a $1 each, cabbage is a great, cheap refrigerator staple. We loaded this Sautéed Cabbage recipe with sausage and bacon to bring out the flavor and create a hearty, filling meal.
Servings: 4 People
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 4 Links Italian Sausage Links Sugar Free (Sliced)*
- 3 Strips Bacon Sugar Free
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onions (Yellow or White)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Lbs Green Cabbage (Thinly Sliced)
- Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
Add avocado oil to a large skillet or dutch oven and pre-heat to medium. Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and cook until sausage is heated through out and browned (4-5 Min). Once browned, transfer to a bowl and cover to retain heat.
Increase the heat on the pan to medium-high. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the hot pan and cook until brown and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Remove the excess bacon grease - keeping about 1 tablespoon in the pan for added flavor.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and sauté until softened (4-5 min).
Stir in the garlic until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
Add the sliced cabbage to the onion/garlic mixture and sauté until soft. Work in batches if you need to.
Once all the cabbage is cooked, add the sausage, bacon and red pepper flakes to the pan and stir to combine.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Prefer chicken sausage? Feel free to use, but make sure it's sugar free and check the carb count to calculate accordingly.
- We tested out using the majority of the bacon grease and don't recommend it. It left the entire batch tasting heavy and oily. Either dump the excess or store for another recipe.