Warm up with a delicious bowl of our favorite low carb soup recipe: Broccoli with Cheese Soup. Our low carb Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe packs a whopping 14g of protein and just 5 net carbs. If you like Broccoli Cheese Soup from Panera, you’ll love our keto-friendly version. This hearty bowl of goodness is ready in just 30 minutes.
How Do You Make Broccoli Cheese Soup From Scratch?
Broccoli with Cheese Soup is one of the easiest soups you can make at home. Just sauté butter, onions and garlic before adding the broccoli and broth. Add in the cream cheese and whipping cream before whisking in the real star – cheddar cheese. Blend it all together – and serve!
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
Yep. No edits are required.
How To Freeze Healthy Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Just transfer the cooled soup to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat in either the microwave or stovetop, however we prefer stovetop over medium heat. It will require some stirring to re-incorporate the cheese. If the soup is too thick for your liking, just add water/ broth/cream, a tablespoon at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Recipe Variation Ideas
- Vegan/Vegetarian: Use olive oil or vegan butter in place of the butter, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth and use either vegan cheese or a dash of nutritional yeast instead of the cheddar cheese.
- Switch up the cheese – smoked gouda, pepper jack or gruyere would be amazing.
- Panera Broccoli Cheddar soup does use carrots in their version, so dice up a few and add along with the onions to add more veggies (and more carbs).
- Chunk up the soup by removing a few pieces of the broccoli from the mix before blending. Once blended, just add them back in.
Low Carb Broccoli With Cheese Soup
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Small Yellow or White Onion, Diced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (*Note 1)
- 2 Cups Roughly Chopped Broccoli
- Sea Salt (To Taste)
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper (To Taste)
- 4 Tbsp Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (*Note 2)
- 4 Slices Cooked Bacon, Crumbled
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (*Note 3)
- Add the butter to a large soup pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and translucent (about 4-5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add the broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the broccoli is tender (about 15-20 minutes). Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the cream cheese and heavy whipping cream and cook until the cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until melted.
- Turn off the heat and let cool slightly before using an immersion blender to puree the soup (*Note 3 & 4)
- Stir in Xanthan gum, if desired, and let sit a few minutes to thicken.
- Transfer into individual soup bowls, and top with bacon crumbles and extra cheese. Enjoy immediately.
Use sugar-free bacon to ensure it's Keto approved! Kirkland from Costco is our favorite.
did you make this recipe?
Tag @lighterkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #lighterkitchen.
don't miss a thing!
Enter your Email below & click Submit to begin receiving emails where we post new recipes, tips, gear and more!