Here’s how to make Cabbage Soup if you’re starting the popular Cabbage Soup Diet. This soup is a great option for peeps on all diets – Low Carb, Vegetarian, Vegan, Whole 30, Paleo and Keto. With that in mind, there are many cabbage soup diet recipes out there, but this one is tailor made for those looking for a Keto-friendly, low carb option.
How Did We Make This Cabbage Soup Keto Friendly?
We removed the carb-laden tomatoes other soups are loaded with AND minimized the amount of vegetables to keep it in the “low carb” category. We did all the measuring and taste testing for you. If you’re NOT worried about counting carbs, we recommend doubling the vegetables called for.
Can I Freeze Cabbage Soup?
Absolutely. Just transfer the cooled soup to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
What to Serve with Cabbage Soup?
We LOVE these 2-ingredient Keto Crackers. If you’re not following a low carb diet, we like to serve this soup with slices of crusty bread or saltine-style crackers.
- Looking for Cabbage Soup with Potatoes? Just dice a potato or two up and throw them in with the cabbage (step 5).
- Looking for Cabbage soup with Sausage? Just cook according to the packages directions and add the cooked slices in with the cabbage (step 5.)
- Amp up the flavor by adding some Italian seasoning or fresh herbs like basil or rosemary.
- Kick up the flavor with some red pepper flakes, if you enjoy some heat.
VIEW MORE HEALTHY RECIPES:
- Sautéed Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
- Pesto Keto Meatballs
- Keto Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Starbucks Sous Vide Egg Bites
**Reminder -we are not dietitians or nutritionists, therefore offer no health recommendations in this How to Make Cabbage Soup guide and any other recipe we feature. Consult your doctor for your specific needs.
How to Make Cabbage Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (or Avocado Oil)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Large Carrot (Chopped) (*Note 1)
- 2 Celery Stalks (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Curly Parsley (Chopped)
- 1/4 Large Cabbage (Chopped)
- 6 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Stock (*Note 2 & 3)
- Salt (To Taste)
- Black Pepper (To Taste)
- Add the oil to a large soup pot, or dutch oven, and pre-heat over medium-high.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the broth and bring to a rolling boil.
- Add the cabbage and parsley and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to your personal taste. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- We usually have baby carrots on hand, so use those instead. We use about 6-8 baby carrots in place of 1 large carrot.
- To keep it vegan, use the vegetable stock. Chicken stock makes a GREAT substitution. Use low sodium stock if you're salt-sensitive or following a low sodium diet.
- TIP- If you're using ready-made stock you can use just one carton instead of two. Use 1 carton and two cups of water instead of opening 2 cartons (and having leftover stock).
Double or triple the vegetables if you're not watching carbs.
did you make this recipe?
Tag @lighterkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #lighterkitchen.
don't miss a thing!
Enter your Email below & click Submit to begin receiving emails where we post new recipes, tips, gear and more!